pluggable context menus ...

Hi James,

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 04:23, James Willcox wrote:
> I've attached a patch that makes it possible to have mime-type-sensitive
> pages in the properties dialog.  It uses the good 'ol NautilusView stuff

	This is so great - may I foist off an idea that might help keep the
script people quiet for a while ;-)

	Essentially - this is a scheme to add custom popup (context) menu items
on a per mime-type basis, re-using the existing bonobo-activation
framework stuff.

	So - it goes something like this:

	We add a 'nautilus:context_ops' stringv, that would contain the
relevant options:

	<submenu label="Image ops">
		<menuitem label="Rotate image" verb="DoRotate"/>
	</submenu>

	Now - quite how to encode this in the .server file I don't know - but
we need this capability for evolution too; ie. currently we have a
'stringv' or 'string' field; but we really need an 'xml' type - that
would essentially return the raw XML (as a string) - in that sub-tag, to
avoid unnecessary escaping. - a small b-a-s hack perhaps.

	Then, of course - we grab this string for the given mime-type, and
inject it into the context menu; when someone hits it - we activate the
component, and pump the verb name at it [somehow, perhaps a Listener
interface on the component would suffice ].

	Does that sound interesting ? it's really extremely good to have
someone expanding the pluggability so people independently can add great
new features.

	Regards,

		Michael.