Re: pluggable context menus ...

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 21:53, James Willcox wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've redone this now so that it should be easy to translate the menu
> items.  That's the good news.  The bad news is, it's not very flexible
> as far as placement in the menu goes.  It should be possible to put
> stuff in a submenu still, but it won't be possible for each component to
> decide in which submenu to go in, unless we do some more hackery.  Is
> this needed?  What was the outcome of the usability discussion about
> this?

According to calum, context menus can differ between objects ( ie
folders can/should have different context menus from image files etc.).
The hig strongly discourages the use of sub-menus in context menus, and
I think we should probably follow this recommendation as much as
possible.

One question. For some objects (rpms and iso's come to mind) opening
them doesn't really make sense. In the future would it be possible to
make these menu entries mime-specific as well? (instead of having open
and open with for rpms you'd have install or uninstall, for iso's you
would have "Burn to CD") Just food for thought.

dave