Re: pluggable context menus ...

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 22:01, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 21:53, James Willcox wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've redone this now so that it should be easy to translate the menu
> > items.  That's the good news.  The bad news is, it's not very flexible
> > as far as placement in the menu goes.  It should be possible to put
> > stuff in a submenu still, but it won't be possible for each component to
> > decide in which submenu to go in, unless we do some more hackery.  Is
> > this needed?  What was the outcome of the usability discussion about
> > this?
> >

> According to calum, context menus can differ between objects ( ie
> folders can/should have different context menus from image files etc.).
> The hig strongly discourages the use of sub-menus in context menus, and
> I think we should probably follow this recommendation as much as
> possible.

So then my original placement of them was alright then?  See:
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~jwillcox/files/screenshots/nautilus-mime-context-menus-2.png

> One question. For some objects (rpms and iso's come to mind) opening
> them doesn't really make sense. In the future would it be possible to
> make these menu entries mime-specific as well? (instead of having open
> and open with for rpms you'd have install or uninstall, for iso's you
> would have "Burn to CD") Just food for thought.

Actually, I think we could probably do this right now fairly easily.
Especially if the open* items are the only ones we want to be able to
disable.

Thanks,
James