Re: retrieving passwords for login purposes

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 21:03, Cristóvão B. B. Dalla Costa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the previous help.
>
> In my organization the need has come up to work around many apps'
> limitations regarding the SMB filesystem -- while VFS apps will open
> documents transparently over SMB filesystems others such as OpenOffice
> won't. Therefore I'm working on a Nautilus 2.4 patch to address that
> point.

The Ximian OpenOffice has patches to support using gnome-vfs to read
files. I think this is a better approach to this, since it will always
be better integrated and work better than special-case hacks.

> Would the Nautilus community be interested to integrate such a patch?

A specific smb one? Not really. One could make a generic one that
downloads the file to /tmp and opens it from there, but that is
dangerous, since any saves by the user would get lost, so i'm not that
interested in that either.

> Anyway, I've already altered Nautilus and created a wrapper to mount the
> filesystem temporarily and launch the file from there. However, it
> suffers in the cases where the SMB share is password protected. The user
> will type a login and a password when he first loads that share and I
> now need to retrieve the login/pass to pass on to smbmount, and so far
> I'm not being able to locate the source for doing that.

In gnome 2.5, if the user chose to save the password in gnome-keyring you
could use that, but not everyone will do that. Otherwise there is *no* way
to get the password like that. For security reasons the password isn't
saved anywhere.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fast talking hunchbacked photographer plagued by the memory of his
family's brutal murder. She's a brilliant nymphomaniac queen of the dead
trying to make a difference in a man's world. They fight crime!