Re: File Notes

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 19:02, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

> I can't help to wonder what were they thinking?  If EAs aren't for this,
> what the hell are they for?  The file system has been claiming our
> metadata need for AGES, and the kernel people still don't do anything
> for that.  Evidently, a user-space solution would be easier to code,
> perhaps, but a kernel-level solution has the guarantee to be more
> pervasive and easy to use for developers.

They are designed mainly for ACLs. And due to NFS and other network
filesystem in common use there needs to be a userspace solution too, so
duplicating support for EAs might be a waste of work.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an old-fashioned moralistic grifter for the 21st century. She's a
provocative punk cab driver with an incredible destiny. They fight crime!