Re: Computer icon: desktop pc, notebook or server?

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 16:56, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Luca Ferretti">
>
> > It's just a really silly question, but IMHO could be cool if you can have
> > the ability to choose Computer icon depending on what kind of computer you
> > are using.
> >
> > Note that in gnome-icon-theme we have stock_notebook.png and
> > gnome-fs-server.png at 16x16, 24x24, 32x32 and 48x48 pixels, so we could
> > change the icon in desktop, in explorer toolbar and in Place/Go menu.
> >
> > It should be a global option, not a single user option. End, of course, I
> > don't think we should add any UI to change it.
> >
> > Just a (gconf ?) key that distro can set when installing or root user can
> > edit,
>
> You can always just choose a custom icon for yourself. That seems like a
> reasonable enough already-there option. Perhaps you should fire up some
> people to do some common computer types in the jimmac style so users have
> icons to choose from? :-)

Ideally I would like a Computer icon that isn't just a picture of an
icon (since that kind of icon is overused), but something else that
represents what "Computer" contains, i.e. the volumes, filesystems and
removable media in the computer.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a war-weary umbrella-wielding hairdresser living undercover at Ringling
Bros. Circus. She's a blind bisexual mermaid with a flame-thrower. They fight
crime!