Re: .hidden files? what dos that mean?

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:

> <quote who="Alan">
>
>> > I think these are too ultra-special to be classed as "configuration
>> > files".
>>
>> Not sure if you were being sarcastic and agreeing or disagreeing :)
>> However, I agree with Calum, a method to tag files as hidden or not and
>> then some sort of UI to allow the user to toggle between them would be far
>> more "professional" looking than saying "oh, just open up your terminal
>> window and edit this file".
>
> My point was that this is not really a feature designed for "normal users",
> it's special. It's there for distributors and techy users. So, there's not
> much point in making it "more professional", because it's not supposed to be
> a very user-exposed feature.

Exactly. This same feature exists in MacOS X, but Apple ships sensible
.hidden files in key places like /. You don't see Mac users messing
around with .hidden files, opening a terminal window to edit the file in
vi or whatever.

I am a firm believer of keeping bloat to a minimum, and making this
feature "more professional" definitely falls in the "bloat" category :-)

I am glad the Captains are not planning to make this feature "more
professional".

Cheers,

Eloy.-