Re: Possible solution to the spring loaded folders headache

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 01:53, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> I don't really like the menu because there isn't a direct relationship
> between it and the folder metaphor (unless you have a real good
> understanding of unix paths).

I agree, however such a solution could still perhaps have a place on a
file's middle/Alt-drag menu, e.g. modify the "Move to Here" menu item to
be:

Move To > Here
          -----
          <subfolders>

(If there were no subfolders, you'd probably still want to show the
existing "Move to Here" menu item instead, rather than forcing the user
to navigate to "Move To > Here").  Ditto for the Copy To menu item, I
doubt it would work for Link To though because you'd need to show all of
each folder's files in the menu for that.  Even with Move To and Copy To
a slow remote filesystem could blow the whole gaff I suppose.

This obviously doesn't solve the problem for novice users, though, and
IANAL so I make no claims as to whether this would still violate the
patent or not...

Cheeri,
Calum.