Re: editing the gnome menu

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 13:24, Anthony DiSante wrote:
> > I think there must be something wrong in your nautilus installation. I
> > have a P2 266, and my nautilus starts in about 30-60 secs...
> > And I know that 'half an hour' was jast an expression to tell it takes a
> > long time.
>
> Yes, "half an hour" was an exaggeration.  It consistently takes just about
> 10 seconds to start up if I repeatedly open and close it; if I haven't run
> it in a while, it sometimes takes 15 or 20 seconds.  And once it's open,
> it's slow navigating, slow reading dirs and slow displaying dir contents.
> That's just not acceptable for a file manager.  Rox, by comparison, always
> starts in 1-2 seconds; navigating directories is quick, as one might expect
> something simple like navigating directories to be.  (Both on my PIII 850MHz
> / 512MB system.)

I meant, like, when killing nautilus, it is fully started in 30-60 secs.
A new nautilus window open like, in an instant. Quite fast in navigating
and all, also. At least in my opinion.

It might be slowish in a dir where you havee > 1000 files and a lot of
subdirectories, as it counts their contents also. But generally I say
it's fast. Only slowness is due to my old box.

 Petri

--
I refuse to grow up