Re: Feature Request

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:43:53AM +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Its more of an attempt to let the users decide how it behaves rather
> then being dictated to by the developers. All my proposed changes are
> optional and wont affect the default settings at all. OS/X combines
> spatial and browse mode very effectively so why cant we optionally have
> the same?

SO!  It's a revolt is it?! :-)  Well I respect you for coding it. :-)
See my previous message about browsing.  We even use the browsing concept
at all?  Find a better way to find files.

I would really prefer to see you code on Storage or bug Curtis to get
Medusa working properly.  It takes a bunch of you guys to get Seth
and everyone enthusiastic about the project again.

> >   Maybe it would be better to just
> > make the browser portion better.
>
> Could do but browser mode has more shortcomings - namely you cant open a
> window spatially from it (so you cannot effectively mix spatial and
> browse modes when using the "Browse Folder" right click menu as some
> have suggested before). Its also older code, a completely different code
> base to spatial and its a lot more complex too so it would be harder and
> more time consuming for me to alter.

I think it will be hard to mix them enough to make everyone happy.
(OB: I'm shooting from the hip, I have no data that says thats true
just my gut feeling)

It's a slippery slope especially when it comes to people like us
who deal with our computers in a much more personal way than most
normal people.  We end up wanting more things to add.  It won't
end here is what I predict. :-)

> its not retro at all- I see it as tweaking it into something more
> practical (and making Nicholas Petreley eat his own words at the same
> time too).

Well, I hope Alex accepts your changes. :)  But really, lets look for
another way to do this.

sri