Re: FEATURE: Icon Resource in application binaries

Ok, now this is getting productive, I think we should take all this in consideration and put together a little standard,  talk to the kde guys also, and after that publish this work through freedesktop.org .
You talked about PE Windows executables, we should read those file's icons just like  Windows does, but the think we should think about is the best way that we should implement that for elf binaries.

Thanks,
Ionut Cotoi <cotty cotty iren ro>
Junior Developer
BayStack Project
ITC Networks

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 20:38, Mike Hearn wrote:
On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 19:26 +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> or just put the icon into an extended attribute for the file and be over
> with... (the package which is shipped for the binaries would set it to
> the right thing when unpacking) ... maybe I'm missing something
> though...

If you are using a package then the icon theming/desktop menu stuff
should be sorted out by that - the only real use case for this is where
the software isn't packaged. Extended attributes tend to get lost as you
move files between machines as well ....

> Hm, and what happens if it is a shell script ? Or a mono executable ?

Shell scripts could have a magic comment, or the extended attribute
method could be used in conjunction. Mono binaries are just PE format
executables so you can embed an image resource in the same way Windows
does it (though imo they shouldn't be using PE anyway ...).

But I agree it all gets very complicated very quickly.

thanks -mike