Re: Gnome 2.6: What were you thinking?

Em Sex, 2004-05-14 às 11:41, Raul Acevedo escreveu:
> Andy Ross wrote:
>
>  >  > > Now, where would you put the setting?  I mean in which control panel?
>  >  >
>  >  > File Management Preferences, either Views or Behavior tab.
>  >
>  > Even better, how about making the traditional browser an entry in the
>  > top-level application menu?  It could be called "Browse Filesystem",
>  > so that no one could possibly miss it.
>
> The only problem is that calling it with any reference to "Browse" is
> confusing.  To me, "browse" is what Nautilus does in either spatial or
> browse mode.  It makes more sense to call it "New window per
> directory".

[ Please let's stop cross-posting! This overloads GNOME servers. ]

Maybe the confusing thing is the two-mode file manager. We could simply
hide from the users the fact that we have a mutant file manager.

My idea is to call the browse mode File Manager. For the spatial mode
there is no need for a definition (to the user). It may be treated
simply as part of the desktop. The windows can be referenced as 'folder
windows'.

This way, the user will know that if he/she wants to do complex stuff
with lots of files and folders, they should use the File Manager.

Is this sane?

--
Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> (+55 81 9132-1845)

.- GS2 Tecnologia da Informação Ltda ---------------------------.
| IT: Security, Management, Infrastructure and Free Software    |
| Visit us at www.gs2.com.br contato gs2 com br +55813492-7777  |