Re: ftp and Nautilus

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 12:53, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > Secondly, even though ftp is often used anonymously we can't just assume
> > that, since that means you can't log in with a username on a site where
> > anonymous login is allowed.
> >
> [...]
> > This makes it possible to log in both with name and anonymous, and it
> > uses the common "if you don't know what the heck the dialog is about,
> > just click ok" user feature to enable easy anonymous login.
>
> I'm not sure my parents or sisters would click on "ok" in front of such
> a dialog. They'd be confused about the dialog, and I wouldn't be
> surprised if they cancelled everything or filled out bogus values and
> then decide the ftp method doesn't work.

Hmmm. How does windows and OS X do this (for the various types of
authenticated shares)?

I guess we could add some sort of extra widgetry for "try to login with
no username", although i'd like to keep terms like "anonymous" out of
the user interface. A button is probably best suited for this.

> I'd be more in favour to expect a "username ftpsite" uri from users who
> want to log on a ftp server which accepts both anonymous and non
> anonymous logins. This could also be exposed in a more discoverable way
> in "network locations"

I want to move towards a world where if you ever have to type in a URI
that is a bug. It won't be 100% possible of course, but at least I don't
want to design it in as a requirement for any feature. Of course, you
could use things like connect to server with a special entry for
username in the dialog. However, that means you have to type in the rest
of the stuff to create the uri, and you can't use non-anonymous login
for servers that are discovered using service discovery or by following
links on e.g. the intranet or desktop file links.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an otherworldly vegetarian astronaut who knows the secret of the alien
invasion. She's a mistrustful mute femme fatale from aristocratic European
stock. They fight crime!