Re: Gnome 2.6: What were you thinking?

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 19:34, iain wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 18:36 -0300, Fabio Gomes wrote:
>
> > My idea is to call the browse mode File Manager. For the spatial mode
> > there is no need for a definition (to the user). It may be treated
> > simply as part of the desktop. The windows can be referenced as 'folder
> > windows'.
> >
> > This way, the user will know that if he/she wants to do complex stuff
> > with lots of files and folders, they should use the File Manager.
>
> Except that the spatial mode is supposed to be better for doing file
> management tasks, such as copying files to other places, whereas the
> browser mode is supposed to be better for finding files that you're not
> really sure where they are, so you can go into folder A, oh, the file
> isn't there, click the back button, go to folder B, and so on.

No. The browser mode with the Tree sidebar is *way* better for file
management with Drag and Drop and lots of folders. Try to manage your
project trees using the two modes and see the productivity differences.

Obviously, the browser mode without the Tree is useless.

--
Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> (+55 81 9132-1845)

.- GS2 Tecnologia da Informação Ltda ---------------------------.
| IT: Security, Management, Infrastructure and Free Software    |
| Visit us at www.gs2.com.br contato gs2 com br +55813492-7777  |