Re: Thumbnail size causing moving targets

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 20:29, Steven Garrity wrote:
> I'm sure this has been dealt with before, but the mailing list search on
>   gnome.org is broken, and I couldn't find anything browsing the
> archives manually.
>
> Because the size of thumbnails is different than the size of the
> temporary icon while thumbnails are generated, icons an jump around
> while thumbnails are being generated.
>
> For example, if you take a large directory with hundreds of photos, and
> scroll down to the bottom before all of the thumbnails have loaded, you
> will see the icons jump around as the thumbnails load and the contents
> of the folder are re-layed-out accordingly.
>
> Has there been any consideration for a fixed thumbnail area that is the
> same size as the "generating thumbnail" icon, as in Windows XP, so the
> folder contents don't move as thumbnails are generated?
>
> Again, sorry if this has already been dealt with - feel free to just
> point me at an old rationale for the current behavior.

I don't think there has been any discussion of this. However, having the
"generating thumbnail" icon be the same size as a thumbnail sounds
pretty nice.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lounge-singing skateboarding waffle chef who knows the secret of the
alien invasion. She's a mistrustful junkie advertising executive from
aristocratic European stock. They fight crime!