Re: HIGfining nautilus-cd-burner alerts

Il mar, 2004-05-25 alle 13:07, Calum Benson ha scritto:
> On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 07:42, Luca Ferretti wrote:
>
> > No title, of course, but it's better read the HIG draft too ;-)
> >
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig_new/windows-alert.html
>
> FWIW, if we do end up deciding in the next version of the HIG that
> alerts should have visible titles after all, I think we're more likely
> to recommend something like "Alert - <application name>" rather than any
> restatement of the alert text.  Gnopernicus already reads out the full
> text of any alert window that you focus, so a title is only really
> needed to distinguish between any alerts that appear on the window list
> or Alt-tab popup-- which few if any currently

Summarizing, well behavior is:
     1. alert windows have no titles;
     2. alert windows don't appear in window list;
     3. (non-modal) alert windows appear in pager as "Alert -
        <appname>";

Point 2 simply needs a

        gtk_window_set_skip_taskbar_hint (alert, TRUE);

(IMHO it should be maneged directly in eel_alert* functions)

Unfortunately by now GTK+ and/or WM specs don't help us to fit point 1
and 3. Is you set a title

        gtk_window_set_title (alert, title);

it appears in both window titlebar and pager :-(

So, waiting for it, I think I'll use "Alert - nautilus-cd-burner" only
for non-modal alerts in n-c-b, for example the one that appears when you
choose "Write to CD" for iso file popup menu and you don't have a cd
writer.

PS: what about alert window icons? If you don't set any icon (or set it
to NULL), it is automatically used a simple GTK_STOCK_NEW icon. :-(
Do you think is better use GTK_STOCK_DIALOG_* (matching the icon in
alert body) or "gnome-fs-cdrom" ?

By