Re: [(RE)ANNOUNCING] nautilus-open-terminal

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:22:22 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 03:28:00PM +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > > Maybe we can do both?
> >
> > Note that nautilus-open-terminal displays it for x-nautilus-desktop://
> > as well. So you will be perfectly able to use that feature after
> > installing the plugin. There is just no point in having it in Nautilus
> > itself.
>
> I think thats fine idea.  We really do want to remove the command line
> option that way we can flush out things that people go to the command
> line for and improve them.

Not only do we want to remove dependency on the command line (which
isn't the same as removing the ability to use it), this way of
accessing it was also quite clunky: it has nothing to do with the
desktop, it requires the desktop to be showing, such an option already
exists in the panel menu, you can make a panel or desktop launcher to
do the same thing or use the mini-commander applet, there's a bug with
this Open Terminal entry (in regards to startup-notification), and
there's now a much faster way for users to access the terminal anyway
(there's a /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_terminal
gconf key for a keybinding to run a new terminal; some distros, such
as Ubuntu, are binding a key for it by default).

Elijah