Change the way Nautilus looks

If I want to change the way nautilus looks, like the position of the
buttons, the size, the place of certain things, hide the menu or make
modifications in the source code to make nautilus look different, what
files i need to modify or is there any document that has a description
on the internals of nautilus? I have a good background of c/c++
programing and I am very curious about gnome architecture and
implementation and mostly in nautilus. Please if I wrote this in the
wrong place can you point me into the right direction I need a place
to start.

Thank you.
Fabian