Re: Suggestion: The option to open a folder in a New Tab instead of a New Window.

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 22:01 +1000, Mark Thiele wrote:

> > > I'd have a look at it, within the time I have available, but do not know
> > > where to start. Any pointers?
> > >

> > Not really. Start with reading the stuff in the docs dir in the source
> > tree. Its slightly outdated, but a good start.
> >
> "If you want to look into it that's fine and if it works we may
> implement it - not. We're not going to waste our time helping you do
> something that does not suit our personal tastes."

I won't lie. I don't think its a very important feature, so I'm not
gonna spend much time on it. However if someone does the work, and it
doesn't mess up the rest of the codebase and user interface for causual
users, I'm not gonna object. (I mean, I might have opinions on the
details in the implementation, but not to the point of blocking it
totally.)

However, I am very busy, and while there are things that I can help
with, that does not include doing all the research work involved in
figuring out how to implement tabs. I spent my time writing those docs
once so that people could read them instead of having me do this all the
time. Of course, you seem to not even be bothered to read them, but
instead demand that I do the work, and then seemingly threaten to move
to pcmanfm because the nautilus developers are jerks...

> Ok. I get it. The Nautilus team, regardless of what anyone else may
> ask for or like, is not going to implement anything that they
> themselves do not think is in "the best interests" of the lowest
> common denominator of user or that does not fit their personal taste.

This is a bit negatively described. I wouldn't say "lowest common
denominator", but rather "target audience and usecases". One of the the
main tasks of a maintainer is to say "no" to stuff, and to set some sort
of highlevel direction. So, yes, we're not gonna do anything that anyone
requests if we don't think its a good idea. Even if other file managers
have the requested feature.

> As for changing my windows manager, why? Metacity is a great wm. No
> gripes at all with it. Unlike other wm's I've tried (fluxbox,
> enlightenment, fvwm, etc.) it works so seamlessly with gnome as to
> become invisible to the general user. Nice, stable, and simple.

But you said that multiple windows is the primary problem, which would
imply that you have a problem with how windows are managed. With a
tabbed window manager you solve this problem at the root, instead of
forcing all applications to do their own "window management".