RE: Packages

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Josselin Mouette [mailto:joss debian org]
Enviado el: domingo, 17 de febrero de 2008 2:05
Para: nautilus-list gnome org
CC: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
Asunto: Re: Packages

On lun, 2008-02-04 at 10:51 +0100, Pedro Macanás wrote:
>> I suggest the Debian version of Nautilus include all the packages ending in
> *.deb by open by "dpkg -i".

>Please send Debian-specific requests to the BTS (bugs.debian.org).

This can be also be applied to Fedora and other linux distros. What I suggest is include a default package installation for all default Linux distro.

Another problem: I cannot use Debian to send Debian RFP/BTS, because I cannot connect now to the Internet (only, at work).

>> So, offline installation would be easier (growing the usability and
> easiness). I have a big problem, because I moved from a house to other one
> and I cannot connect to the Internet using Linux. So I have to download
> manually the packages and later install them using dpkg.
>
> I would include an utility similar to apt-zip (and Synaptic) in Nautilus or links to them.

>>Hmmm, let me see...
      * Right-click on a .deb
      * Open with another application...
      * Select the "Available applications" tab
      * Double-click on Gdeb
      * Enter your password
And voilà.

This is very good and I am going to include in my Debian computer (if I can install offlinely all the packages and drivers  and connect it to the Internet). But I would prefer a general solution (common) for Linux.

Perhaps, we can use PackageIt (http://www.freedesktop.org ). So, using the same tool, one can install a package in Debian, Fedora and so on.

>Feel free to propose (or implement!) improvements to synaptic to be able to install packages out of the box.

I like Synaptic because one can use it in Debian (apt), Fedora (rpm)... This is the idea under PackageIt also.

So, one of them could be connected (link) to Nautilus.

Regards.

Pedro.