Re: Size of fonts in List View

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 12:49 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> Am Montag, den 18.02.2008, 12:05 +0100 schrieb Olaf Frączyk:
> > Could you tell me why do we have such big fonts in List View?
>
> could you tell me your font and font size settings in your GNOME control
> center?

Please remeber that I talk about List View. The fonts at 25% in ListView
are about the same as 100% in Icons View.

I have for:
application,desktop,window title: Sans 12
terminal: monospace 12

This is Fedora Core 3 box with Nautilus 2.8.1. I know it is rather
ancient but this one I have at work.
The fonts are set as 75 dpi. Monitor is 19".
What is funny the dpi in fonts dialog has nothing to do with what
reports xdpyinfo.

I compared it with ms windows, and with 25% setting the fonts are still
larger in nautilus.

The other thing is, that the vertical spacing of elements in windows
explorer is different than in nautilus. I mean in nautilus we have
proportionally more space between elements. My personal feeling is that
it looks better in windows.

On Windows I have "small fonts" - it means 96 dpi.
I know that the dpi in windows has a slightly different meaning than in
real world ;) but I write it here, so we have some data to compare.

Exactly the same problem I have on Fedora 8 and CentOS 5.  And with
every Fedora release as far as I remember. Unfortuantely I left my
notebook home so can't check the values.

> > Do you all look at the monitor from 5 meters :) ?
>
> no, because i have sane defaults here. :)
Hmm, my defaults are sane (more or less) for all other applications.

Regards,

Olaf

--
Olaf Frączyk <olaf cbk poznan pl>