Re: Compact view: best way to ellipsize filenames?

Dear Stéphane,

El sáb, 03-05-2008 a las 19:56 +0200, Stéphane Démurget escribió:
> I've got a question regarding Compact View. In the attached screenshot,
> you can see the kind of space that can be lost when having long
> filenames.
>
> The way it works under Windows and that makes this kind of view very
> popular is because, well, it's compact by nature, and this is achieved
> by activating ellipsization on the filename labels and set the columns
> width to 120px. (btw, I just discovered at my workplace this is
> configurable, and nobody cares: the default is great). I suppose this is
> because filenames can be quickly recognized mentally, even if they are
> shortened. (...)
> Ho, and what about the interaction with the property to have all the
> columns the same width? Do we want to activate this ellipsization when
> it's activated?

At the moment, we have two modes:

A) All columns have the same width, text is ellipsized
B) Variable column width, text is not ellipsized

In the original implementation I posted on my web blog, lots of people
commented. Some wanted ellipsization (some not), some wanted a variable
column (some not).

I concluded that we have two user fractions: Those who want to have a
pretty GUI with a regular layout (A), and those who want to see all the
information available at once (B).

If you disagree, feel free to propose another policy.

bes regards,
 Christian

--
Christian Neumair <cneumair gnome org>