Re: Nautilus VCS extension for GSOC

James Bliss wrote:
> As part of Google Summer of Code, I would like to write a Nautilus
> extension to interface with several versioning systems (eg CVS, SVN,
> git, darcs, monotone, etc), with an interface inspired by (and
> possibly blatently ripped from) the Tortoise* projects.

I'm one of the developers of NautilusSvn, a Python extension for
Nautilus with exactly this goal. You might want to take a look at it,
you can find the project page here:

http://code.google.com/p/nautilussvn/

Don't let the name fool you, we're definitely working towards
abstracting away from just SVN (though we still have to implement an
abstraction layer, anyvc by Ronny Pfannschmidt, developer of PIDA, might
be an option[1]).

Something you might also be interested in. Together with Jelmer
Vernooij, one of the developers for nautilus-bzr, I documented some of
the limitations of Nautilus with regards to writing VCS extensions. You
can find this information here:

http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus/Extending/VCSIntegrationRequirements

> 2. Who would be willing to mentor such a project?

I'm not a Nautilus developer (and have no experience with the codebase
either), but if you have any questions regarding writing a Natuilus
Python extension, writing a VCS extension in general etc. you can always
reach me.

Also I've documented some stuff regarding hacking Nautilus itself at:

http://code.google.com/p/nautilussvn/wiki/HackingNautilus

> 3. Is anyone currently working on documenting libnautilus-extension?

Not as far as I know. :-)

> 4. Is anyone working on nautilus-python? Specifically the Python API,
> less the glue code.

As Andre said Johan Dahlin is the official maintainer for
nautilus-python but nobody is actively working on it (Johan told me he's
working on other projects, e.g. introspection).