Re: Nautilus VCS extension for GSOC

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Bruce van der Kooij
<brucevdkooij gmail com> wrote:
> I'm one of the developers of NautilusSvn, a Python extension for
> Nautilus with exactly this goal. You might want to take a look at it,
> you can find the project page here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/nautilussvn/
>
> Don't let the name fool you, we're definitely working towards
> abstracting away from just SVN (though we still have to implement an
> abstraction layer, anyvc by Ronny Pfannschmidt, developer of PIDA, might
> be an option[1]).
>
> Something you might also be interested in. Together with Jelmer
> Vernooij, one of the developers for nautilus-bzr, I documented some of
> the limitations of Nautilus with regards to writing VCS extensions. You
> can find this information here:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus/Extending/VCSIntegrationRequirements

I have no problems writing against your code base.

So it be useful to, in addition to actually writing application code,
to address the deficiencies of both the extension API and the
documentation.

Additionally, is there an equivelent to TortoiseMerge? I know that a
GUI diff program for linux has been missing in general (the only thing
i've found is TkDiff).

Things to add include:
* Ability to force updates to particular files (with DBus call)
* Ability to be notified of file operations (copy, delete, move)
* Useful libnautilus-extension documentation
* Update nautilus-python to include missing interfaces, new
operations, and documentation
* Write a GUI diff/merge program, including 3-way merge (new project)

I don't expect to be able to do all that in one summer, but it's a
list to work towards.

Also, there are git libraries (that was a previous GSoC project). I
have no idea how complete or stable they are, but they exist. In any
case, parsing the output of git isn't terrible in Python. (Giggle can
probably provide a lot of help in that area.)

-- Jamie