Re: Nautilus VCS extension for GSOC

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 13:32 -0400, James Bliss wrote:
> As part of Google Summer of Code, I would like to write a Nautilus
> extension to interface with several versioning systems (eg CVS, SVN,
> git, darcs, monotone, etc), with an interface inspired by (and
> possibly blatently ripped from) the Tortoise* projects.
>
> I already have code for a smaller-scope nautilus-svn extension written
> in Python. (The SVN repo for it is on my website which is,
> unfortunately, down.)
>
> I have several questions about this:
> 1. Who is actively developing nautilus-vcs?
> 2. Who would be willing to mentor such a project?
> 3. Is anyone currently working on documenting libnautilus-extension?
> 4. Is anyone working on nautilus-python? Specifically the Python API,
> less the glue code.

There are extensions for:
- Bazaar at http://bazaar-vcs.org/NautilusBzr
- Subversion at http://code.google.com/p/nautilussvn/
- Mercurial at http://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/

You can find more information about extending nautilus at:
http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus/Extending

However, there is no documentation for nautilus-python, but examples.

I have a not-yet-finished(TM) document written in Spanish. So, with a
couple of free hours I could provide one in poor English.

AFAIK, extension provides access though context menus. However, I'm not
confident is some of them have good support in other areas.  I mean, not
basic support for properties pages, columns, etc.

So, it is missing an extension for git.  But it will means parsing the
std out of git, because there is no library for that.

You could add some features missing in Nautilus Extesions, such as
adding separators for menus, which is not possible to do it currently
(at least using nautilus-python, AFAIK).

Kind regards,

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
Concepción - Chile