Re: Simplified Nautilus (with less chrome)

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 09:53 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > You could move the "Free space" to the sidebar , while keeping the
> > folder info below the view.
> > http://imagebin.ca/view/E78cg6gH.html
>
> > Mockup > http://imagebin.ca/view/HG6_jn.html
>

> This doesn't make much sense to me. What does free space have to do with
> the sidebar.

In the Mockup , I'v moved the drives/partitions below the user
bookmarks.
The sidebar is the location where the drives/partitions are always
listed.
 Keeping the drives/partitions below the user bookmarks gives the "Free
space" information more context. The user will notice the Free space
changes while selecting different drives.

>  The free space is only shown when there is no other status
> message to report,

At Present , the location of the "Free space" isnt really intuitive ,
By showing the Free size only sometimes , it seems that the info is
being displayed only when something is being selected ,
A couple of folks have asked "if the free-space information was for the
particular folder?"

It seemed like a ridiculous question but thinking about it ,
 the status of the folder or the selected object is normally shown there
but the free space was the one thing which doesnt really fit as a
_status_ of the folder or item that is selected.

XP shows the selected-file size or the size of the files in the folder
in view ,
while Win7 doesnt show any size info unless files are selected.

Another question I'v heard was how do i get back the "free space" to be
displayed?
They didnt realize that selecting nothing [clicking on the empty space]
would bring back the "free space" info.

OSX prevents this by always showing the "free space".[iirc]

> i don't think its important enough to get its own
> full time widget in the ui.

Free space is an useful information especially while file
management/backup to drives.

Win7 uses graph/bar to display the information when viewing the drives.
OSX displays the free space always.

We need some constant location to display it in nautilus too.
-Win7 type Graph is probably not possible...
-We could display it always but we have to look out for the extra-pane.
Moving it to the sidebar seemed ideal.

--
Cheers,
Vish