Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] audiocd view in (net)rhythmbox

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 14:48, Jorn Baayen wrote:

> I have bugs in bugzilla for all gst bugs I run into, that should be
> enough I'd hope. Plus I don't see how a working, released app with
> workaround helps fixing the bugs it works around. That's not exactly a
> test case is it, but that aside.

Because it gives the gst people motivation to fix it.

> + thinking (net)rb is ready for general consumption is just nonsense, so
> putting in hacks 'for the users' is bullshit.

It WorksForMe.  That's not to say there aren't bugs, because there are,
but I use it all the time.

> I was actually planning to do a release real soon, since it seems to be
> working very well for local stuff so far.

That's good to hear.

> Anyway, if anyone just keeps forking I see little hope in getting a
> decent, coordinated rb ever off the ground again. I mean what do we have
> now, netrb, Company babbling about something called libparty, whats
> more..

I want to merge.  I've said that many times, and I still want to do it.
But if everything has to be absolutely perfectly right at first, well,
that kind of makes things a little bit harder.

> (I do not consider a bunch of glue-together hacks decent, sorry. I know
> I'm sounding bitchy here but this is pissing me off.)
> I mean hell I am not really motivated but I'm just trying to get some
> things done again, like implementing the audiocd support because the
> view was fixed. I'd be just as happy not do anything, I don't really
> have an interest here any more - just trying to help getting things
> going again.

I'm glad you're still here.  We quite frankly need you.

> Just trying to pick this up without any prior rb or even gnome
> experience is just not going to work, and I can't say the code in the
> netrb tree looks very healty either.

Some of the code is definitely suboptimal, I agree.  But you know what
they say, "Build one to throw away; you will anyways".

> </rant>

It's not like I'm perfectly happy with the situation here either, Jorn.
You know though, I've heard people say that often one can trace the
cause of forks in a lot of free software projects to personal
animosity.  Let me say, I hold none against you, and I never have.

I respect your decisions.  I just disagree with some of them.

So I'm going to do as much as I can to keep a merge possible.  I've put
in effort to keep the coding conventions (even though I don't like a lot
of them, to be perfectly honest), I haven't reorganized the source tree
at all, I've always been available on IRC to talk, I've listened to
pretty much all of your requests to change things, I've been tracking
the rhythmbox tree to see what's happening, and all in all I think I've
been pretty reasonable about the whole thing.

I think you mostly have been too.  So I just hope we can keep it that
way.