Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] suggestions for development.

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 14:41 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 13:36, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > And we all know that the correct way to fix this is to set the artist tag
> > in the music file to "Beatles, The" anyway.
>
> MusicBrainz has two tags for the artist name, display name and sort
> name, or "The Beatles" and "Beatles, The".  Vorbis doesn't seem to
> provide separate sorting keys for titles, but ID3 defines "TSOT" which
> is the "title sort order" and TSOP which is "performer sort order".
>
> So I'd say instead of inventing bad solutions to the problem, these keys
> should be set (someone should file a bug and I'll get Sound Juicer to
> write them when I get back from my honeymoon) in the relevant files, and
> Rhythmbox should use them if they are found.

That is by far the most informative and sane proposal I have seen on
this issue yet :)

I completely agree.  Maybe sound-juicer should just make up ones for
Vorbis (since it's freeform anyways) and Rhythmbox can use them, and
maybe we'll see other software adopt it too.