Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] suggestions for development.

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 19:05, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 14:41 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 13:36, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > > And we all know that the correct way to fix this is to set the artist tag
> > > in the music file to "Beatles, The" anyway.

Actually, to me, this is wrong.  Even with another tag I would still
want to see "The Beatles" sorted between the Beastie Boys and the Bee
Gees.  Thats what looks right _to me_

Since I think a lot of people may be familiar with this iTunes-like
sorting, and many others may want something similar to the proposal
below, couldn't this be considered as an option (perhaps a hidden gconf
key, if anyone feels strongly about not cluttering the preferences UI).
> > MusicBrainz has two tags for the artist name, display name and sort
> > name, or "The Beatles" and "Beatles, The".  Vorbis doesn't seem to
> > provide separate sorting keys for titles, but ID3 defines "TSOT" which
> > is the "title sort order" and TSOP which is "performer sort order".
> >
> > So I'd say instead of inventing bad solutions to the problem, these keys
> > should be set (someone should file a bug and I'll get Sound Juicer to
> > write them when I get back from my honeymoon) in the relevant files, and
> > Rhythmbox should use them if they are found.
>
> That is by far the most informative and sane proposal I have seen on
> this issue yet :)
>
> I completely agree.  Maybe sound-juicer should just make up ones for
> Vorbis (since it's freeform anyways) and Rhythmbox can use them, and
> maybe we'll see other software adopt it too.

However, I do agree here, that an initiative by SJ to fix the tags at
conception would be a useful thing.  So, perhaps, when RB finally gets
tag writing support, would be a way to add the TSOT tag to any songs
that don't already have it (or, if someone wants to write up a quick
script to do it, that'd be nice too *grin*)

-charlie