Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Help writing a new plug-in

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 21:16 +0100, Jos�ernando Guedes wrote:
> I'm quite new to Rhythmbox, and I am planning to write a new Python
> plugin for it. Is there any documentation that can help me doing that?
> I have found only one basic page with some information
> (http://live.gnome.org/RhythmboxPluginWriting), but it don't help that
> much...

Updating that page has been sitting on my to-do list for a while, btu I
haven't found the time.

You can generate some API docs for Rhythmbox's API by passing
"--enable-gtk-doc" to configure, the python API is basically the same as
the C one. Feel free to stop by the IRC channel (#rhythmbox on
irc.gimp.net) and ask questions, we're happy to help if we're around
(both Jonathan and myself are in Australia, +1000/+1100).

> I'm also planning to base my work in the lyrics plugin. Is it possible
> to debug the plugin? How can I run a Python debugger from within
> Rhythmbox? I think I could understand much better the plugin if I
> could debug it.

Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to get the python debugger to
run inside Rhythmbox. The best I've come up with so far is adding print
statements, which get redirected to Rhythmbox's debug log. Running
"rhythmbox -D pluginname" from a terminal will should print out anything
from your plugin.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"Scientia non habet inimicum nisi ignorantem"
 (Science has no enemies but the ignorant"). - Latin maxim