Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Why I'll Probably Always Use amaroK

Mark Hewitt wrote:
Aside from that, Rhythmbox is great. It's faster than anything and it works really well. I think that with a bit of flashyness and without the 14 mile track bar for where in the song you are, it would be absolutely great. Good work, I hope that it'll keep it's good stuff while picking up the other good stuff of other players.

I agree that the track bar is a bit long.

Guys, I don't know if anyone's considering changing this, but can I put
in my vote to keep it as it is? I know it looks a bit clumsy, but I'm
among the number of people (I assume) who now listen to podcasts and
some audiobooks/mp3 lectures through rhythmbox - I'm frequently faced
with 1-2 *hour* mp3s, and the old track bar was a right pain as one
increment on it equated to skipping anything up to 10 minutes in a long
file! The full length one may not be slick but it's handy as hell to be
able to select precise points within a long file!

Yup. That's one of the use cases it was designed for. I think people will increasingly use Rhythmbox for the things you mentioned - and maybe someday for videos.

Also consider:
http://www.apple.com/education/solutions/itunes_u/

So, I firmly believe that a long (or higher resolution) time slider is essential.

Jon