Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [FEATURE REQUEST] show mp3 mode

2008/3/30, Jonathan Matthew <notverysmart gmail com>:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Vladimir Prieto

Please file bug reports and feature requests in bugzilla.

ok, but even this one?

> mp3 mode, shows type of compression made to the file.  For example, Stereo
> Mode is really different from Join Stereo.  So it really helps if that
> information could shows up.

Who uses this information, and what do they use it for? Where are you
thinking that this information would be displayed?

mp3 compression audio has some mode when is stored, these are related to the way on which sound (channels) are stored.  People usually use default mode, wich is Join-Stereo, but there are others like Dual-Channel and Stereo.  Depending on the quality of the original sound, there will be a lot of differences between Stereo and Join-Stereo.  Usually you will notice this on songs that have effects on left and right channels.

So, a good way to know if the mp3 file was encoded with a better sound, is to know wich mode it is using.

i set up SoundJoicer using pipes with mode=Stereo and bitrate=320, in order to encode my albums with the best quality posible with mp3.  there are other usefull information on: gst-inspect-0.10 lame.

XMMS does show that feature and i think Audacious does too.

do i have to post this on bugzilla anyway?

--
Vladimir Prieto Muñoz
http://vladimir.prie.to