Re: [Patch] apps-menu filtering

Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar freenet de> writes:

> Am Sun, 12 Sep 2010 09:51:09 -0600
> schrieb Matthew Love <matth love gmail com>:
>
>> Matthew Love <matth love gmail com> writes:

>> > Thanks, I think I found the problem.  The new associate-categories would
>> > return nil if the the categories described in the desktop files did not
>> > associate, which led to a string-match error down the road (in a
>> > string-split call), the categories are now double-checked after being
>> > associated and will go to Exile if there is not a value in the desktop
>> > entry. Should work fine now in that respect.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>>
>> Ok, I think this is a better patch for it, instead of double-checking
>> the results of associate-categories, it now will return the original
>> categories instead of nil, so it wont be exiled, it will just show up in
>> the menu under the category it has mentioned.  This can of course be
>> filtered to go into any category one wishes.
>>

> It's working now. With one exception: the Development and Desktop Sub-Menus include stuff
> that definitively does not belong there. For example Flush (Bittorent-Client) in
> Development menu, or GCue2Tracks (Cue Splitter) is in Development. (You already got
> my .desktop files, so you might check on them). And there's now a "Core" Sub-menu,
> containing NetworkManager.
>
> It's technically working, but from the user-side it's not yet perfect. Basically without
> any user-setting it should display a menu similar to the one it did before.
>
> You might check the logics XFCE, KDE or GNOME are using to retrieve the category. I bet
> there's something like a priority list (say Audio > Media > GNOME > GTK or something).
>
> Regards,
> Chris

Yes, Some things in that respect have changed, a lot of things seem to
end up in development that shouldn't because it appears 'GTK' is
associated to development in the master list, 'GTK' items used to get
skipped over before.  Same with things in Desktop, as items such as
'Gnome' and 'KDE' show up in there, which used to get skipped over as
well.
The Core is showing up because that isn't accounted for in the master
list, so it defaults to making it's own.

I'll see if i can find something out there that shows what categories
should default to for the associations.

Cheers

--
mrl