Re: [Usability] Icon selector, 2nd mockup

Hi ~

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 19:30, Stefan Ihringer wrote:
> These are my latest mockups:
> http://www.chromosomnia.org/_img/icon-chooser04.png
> http://www.chromosomnia.org/_img/icon-chooser04-custom.png

I like the new mockups.

> I think the categories are a compromise of what makes sense for the
> user and what is available. I haven't seen a theme yet that contains
> more categories than the default gnome icon theme: apps, devices,
> mimetypes, filesystem, emblems, stock. Only the first three of them
> would be available in the tabbed interface, because the other ones
> are used internally. "filesystem" contains the recycling bin, for
> example, which needn't be made available for users. If someone wants
> to use it, there's always the custom icon tab.

I'm not sure if I'm sold yet on the idea of the tabs, but I do think
it's better than what we have.

> I've designed the custom tab with that in mind. It's just like the
> current icon chooser, but some bugs would have to be fixed (remember
> list of most recently used icons, display other icons in directory,
> ...)
>
> Last but not least, I've ditched the idea of allowing to select icons
> from another icon theme. First, because an additional drop-down-list
> takes up space. Secondly, because it just adds complexity. Moreover,
> if the new file selector allows shortcuts, there could be one to
> /usr/share/icons which makes things a bit easier if you're trying to
> pick a custom icon from another theme.

Great, that sounds good to me.

> I'm going to file a bug report about this, but of course I'm still
> open for suggestions :-)

This is where I should have followed this thread more, because I don't
recall everything that was discussed now.  Either I said it or someone
else did and I just agreed in my head, but I want to repeat that I think
displaying the file names should go.  And here's why I think that:

I believe the goal of the user in this situation is to find the right
image/icon that matches what they think the launcher does.  They are not
searching for the 'file name' that matches the launcher best (they won't
even be able to see the file name after they've selected the image).
Advanced/Intermediate/Novice users, it doesn't matter; people are
choosing based on looks and not name.  I'd argue that no users really
think "I bet the config-xfree.png would be a great icon for this
item...", instead they want to browse pictures, find the right one for
them and the file name doesn't matter.

You'll save space by ditching the file name and reduce some clutter.

There's my .02,
~ Bryan