Re: [Usability] Icon selector, 2nd mockup

> I like the tabbed interface, except that some icon themes have extra
> catagories, and these catagories might change/increase in the future.

These are my latest mockups:
http://www.chromosomnia.org/_img/icon-chooser04.png
http://www.chromosomnia.org/_img/icon-chooser04-custom.png

I think the categories are a compromise of what makes sense for the
user and what is available. I haven't seen a theme yet that contains
more categories than the default gnome icon theme: apps, devices,
mimetypes, filesystem, emblems, stock. Only the first three of them
would be available in the tabbed interface, because the other ones
are used internally. "filesystem" contains the recycling bin, for
example, which needn't be made available for users. If someone wants
to use it, there's always the custom icon tab.

> > I haven't thought about the "custom icon" tab either, but
> > that's where the file chooser and maybe some additional options
> > would be located.
> It could be like the other tabs except it would be a bit more like
> what we have currently. It would have a location field that would
> contain the folder currently being browsed.

I've designed the custom tab with that in mind. It's just like the
current icon chooser, but some bugs would have to be fixed (remember
list of most recently used icons, display other icons in directory,
...)

Last but not least, I've ditched the idea of allowing to select icons
from another icon theme. First, because an additional drop-down-list
takes up space. Secondly, because it just adds complexity. Moreover,
if the new file selector allows shortcuts, there could be one to
/usr/share/icons which makes things a bit easier if you're trying to
pick a custom icon from another theme.

I'm going to file a bug report about this, but of course I'm still
open for suggestions :-)

Stefan