Re: Heartsome XLIFF Translation Editor for document translation?

ÎÏÎÏ 26/ÎÎÎ/2004, ÎÎÎÏÎ ÎÎÏÎÏÎÎÏÎ ÎÎÎ ÏÏÎ 04:38, Î/Î Rodolfo M. Raya
ÎÎÏÎÏÎ:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 18:04 +0000, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
> > I would like to ask if there have been any developments since January
> > (see
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2004-January/msg00051.html)
> > about using the XLIFF Translation Editor to translate docs and po files?
> Heartsome XLIFF Translation Editor supports PO files and also DocBook
> now. It is able to do conversion from PO to XLIFF and back.
>
> I used this editor to translate several Fedora modules to Spanish.

I just used the XLIFF Translation Editor to update a couple of Greek
translations.
I must say that overall I am quite satisfied, although it was my first
actual use of the program and I do not have experience with XLIFF based
translation tools.

Some usability issues that I can pinpoint are:
- I really liked the feature where you have to "accept" the new message
translation (press Ctrl-E) before it actually is accepted in the
resulting file. This is really good.
- The responsiveness of the application is very fast. You feel a
predictability in what happens.
- There is a manual procedure to convert from .po (or DocBook XML) to
XLIFF, translate, then convert back. I suppose this can somehow be
automated. The Open/Save dialog boxes should be able to remember the
previous folder.
- For XML files, I noticed in some messages it does not segment on
sentences but keeps the whole paragraph. Since I am new to this, I
suppose there is an explanation beyond my knowledge :).

I felt I did not get the full strength of the product (lite version)
since the translation memory functionality was not active.

> > I have tried the lite version, referenced at
> > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-localis/
> > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-localis2/
> > however it lacks the translation memory. Overall it looks quite
> > promising and should make many translators happy.
> Hope you liked the articles. A third chapter devoted to translation
> memories is in preparation now.

I am looking forward to reading this.

> > I am quite happy with the outline that Kenneth makes at
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2004-January/msg00051.html
> > Perhaps the GNOME Foundation should pick this issue up?
> A new version of the editor will be available in a couple of weeks.
> Stay tuned, there will be good news for free lance translators and
> people working on open source projects.

I am looking forward to the announcement.

Many thanks,
Simos Xenitellis