Responsability of setting the 'sticky' attribute for a window

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask who's responsability it is to set the sticky
attibute for an application, because from what I've seen the
freedesktop.org specs are unclear about this. Is it the application or
the WM?

I'm asking because in metacity there is no way to remeber those
attributes, so I thought it was up to the program to do it... But when I
suggested to add such a feature to an application (gaim for instance)
they told me it had to be done by the WM... So is this just a missing
feature in metacity? Will this be implemented in the future? I don't
want to change to another WM just because of this...

Thanks

Patrick