Re: How do I switch to Sawfish??

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 00:48, David A. Bartmess wrote:

> Not to ruffle feathers or flame (or get flamed) but I don't consider a
> release complete unless it A) satisfies ALL the usages that came in the
> previous release, or B) is missing usages from the previous release
> because something better came along.

Well this is the difference between a community release and a distro
release. To be honest, I agree alot of minute stuff is missing from
community gnome2 release, but the main advantage of releasing it was the
freezing of the libraries so that other 3rd party apps could begin
development of gnome2 based apps without having to worry about changing
API and ABI. In gnome 2.2 the community is planning on addressing the
more user visible features.

I haven't used mandrake 9 so I can't really comment on it, but redhat
has done an excellent job adding those finer touches to their upcoming
distro (eg. they added window manager theming). For this specific
example, adding window manager theming to the theme capplet was not
possible due to the fact that sawfish was and is still is the default
window manager of the gnome2 community release. (In 2.2 metacity will
replace it and we'll get all those goodies that come with it) Mandrake
as I understand it is using metacity which is great, but it was their
responsibility to add the missing features that this change caused.

I hope these comments prove constructive,

dave