Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

<quote who="textshell neutronstar dyndns org">

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:45:43AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="iain">
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > It comes down to a 'greatest common factor' of usefulness. IM apps can be
> > found in most desktop environments now (Mac OS X, Windows, etc), as can
> > media players (that's why everyone's jumping up and down so much about
> > them), along with web browsers, email clients, etc., etc.
> >

> I think this argument get a bit annoing, we really shouldn't base what's going
> into the desktop on microsoft's and other buissness models

> But just citing macos of windows as this is what the desktop is not very useful.

No, these are not complete arguments on their own [1], however they are good
competitive benchmarks. We're not building a desktop environment in a
vacuum.

- Jeff

[1] The primary argument is "what's useful for users", which may be
reflected in the choices that Microsoft/Apple/other competitors make, but
certainly an area that we can innovate in. Argh. I just said the I word.

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

    "If your life was a movie, would you pay to see it? Would you pay to
                see an advertisement for it?" - James Morris