RE: 2 little politically charged characters

> I haven't looked at gswitchit recently but it seems to me that you
> aren't showing keyboard layout names, but rather keyboard group names.
Not really true. Since XFree 4.3.0 gswitchit shows layout names (taking that
they correspond to the group names 1<->1 - see the document explaining wonderful
xkb of 4.3.0). But this really does not matter.
> If you've configured a Dvorak keyboard, there's no reason to waste
> panel space on showing that.
I would agree. The question is whether anyone here is using Dvorak - and which
two letters this person would be happy to see there.

> And if you are switching between a Dvorak English layout
> and a Russian layout, the interesting thing still isn't that the current
> group is a Dvorak group, but that the current group is an English group.
Well, this sounds reasonable.

> I don't think anybody ever has a Dvorak and a Qwerty layout in their
> two groups, or American and British layouts in their two groups.
> You typically have layouts for different *languages*.
I agree. So, the language code sounds good so far (thought we lose uniqueness of
the visible layout representation). The only problem is that if my colleague
(using British layout here in Ireland) at some point comes to my desktop (I use
American layout for Latin 1) - he'd be surprised to find out that punctuation
characters are placed differently (I don't even mention some strange guy who
would expect to see Dvorak layout). But anyway - _for_me_ this is OK. So if
noone here has something to say against this solution - I will go with it.

Cheers,

Sergey