RE: 2 little politically charged characters

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 13:38, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 05:24, Sergey V. Oudaltsov wrote:
> > > What letters does Windows show?
> > It seems to me it shows language codes. So for both American and British it is
> > EN. Is this acceptable for GNOME as well? I just was not sure we should always
> > do things in "Windows way":)
>
> I haven't looked at gswitchit recently but it seems to me that you
> aren't showing keyboard layout names, but rather keyboard group names.
> If you've configured a Dvorak keyboard, there's no reason to waste
> panel space on showing that.
>
> And if you are switching between a Dvorak English layout
> and a Russian layout, the interesting thing still isn't that the current
> group is a Dvorak group, but that the current group is an English group.
>
> I don't think anybody ever has a Dvorak and a Qwerty layout in their
> two groups, or American and British layouts in their two groups.
> You typically have layouts for different *languages*.

I switch regularly between US, British and French layouts on one of my
machines at work. The keyboard is a US keyboard, but I'm more used to
the British layout, so I switch every now and then depending on the
task...

I don't think I'm the only one in that case.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault