Re: please can we change the default background color for 2.2

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 07:25, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:29:20AM -0800, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > No. If you change the Default you change the theme called Default...
> > just like if you change the terminal you change the application called
> > "terminal"...
>
> That's no good, because it means you have to change all the bits in
> the theme (and move a bunch of stuff around on disk) to change the
> default theme. Sucks for admins. (And for distributors.)  It also
> means that users can't communicate to each other what theme they're
> using, or exchange themes. "Your theme is cool, can you email it to
> me?" - suddenly user has two different themes called Default.
>
> If you're worried about people knowing what the default is, you can
> simply dynamically append "(Default)" at runtime in the theme
> selector, for example, without making a big mess of how settings work.
> Or you could dynamically rename the theme which actually is the
> default theme to Default in the GUI, while keeping it named something
> else on-disk, but that seems potentially confusing.

Yeah. You're probably right... Actually, on a non-admined single vendor
system (such as Windows or MacOS) I would definitely be in favour of
having the theme called "Default", but given both the "multiple
distributors" and administered system issues it does seem to raise new
issues.

-Seth