Re: My take on Totem and GStreamer

Hey Christian & all,

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 13:59, Christian Rose wrote:
> If totem does display "raw" gstreamer error texts in its dialogs, that's
> a big problem. Gstreamer didn't support localization last time I had a
> look, and we don't want unlocalized content in user visible dialogs in
> GNOME.

Look, I understand that you guys prefer i18n'ed stuffies all over the
place, but we can't do that between now and june 9th (Gnome-2.4
deadline).

The request was to make proper UI error messages, and so we did. Just
make a nice error dialog in Totem that says display_dialog(_("An error
occurred: %s"), gstreamer_error);. It won't be 100% localized, but
there's no way you'll get that anyway. Xine doesn't do that either.
It'll be understandable that something went wrong, and it'll work just
fine.

On the long run, we will probably i18n'ize GStreamer. Thomas already
sent an email about it to our developers' list, and it makes sense.
However, we simply cannot do that in one week.

Ronald

--
Ronald Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>