Re: Regarding Nautilus scripts

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 19:20, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> > the GNOME Search tool (Actions->Search for files) already contains grep
> > functionality. It just misses the ability to display the matched lines.
>
> But that tool is not _integrated_ to the file manager. It is key feature to
> be integrated.

then, let's integrate it :-) I was just saying that the tool you talk
about already exists

> > > * Convert to ogg
> > >
> > this could perfectly be MIME actions for audio files, distributed with,
> > for instance, gstreamer.
>
> What do you mean by saying "MIME action" exactly?

"MIME component handlers" are the add-on we already have to extend
Nautilus.

> What I am talking is about integration with the file manager when you select
> files/dirs. Can this "MIME action" do the exact same?

yes, based on MIME types, it can add to the context menu everthing it
wants.

> > > * Touch
> > >
> > maybe this could be an option in the nautilus file properties dialog.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but a properies dialog will only show properties
> for a single directory or a single file.

it seems nautilus HEAD already supports properties dialogs for multiple
files. Or am I wrong?

> > > * Run
> > > * ToUpper/ToLower
> > > and much more.... use your imagination, add functionality, cut
> > > bloat/clutter. :D
> > >
> > while I am a big supporter of the scripting stuff in Nautilus, I don't
> > think most of the things you say should be scripts.
>
> No, I am not advocating for the limited power of scripts. They should be
> addons. Binary addons.

then we agree, since what I'm saying is that they should be add-ons
included in 3rd party apps.

> >It makes much more
> > sense to me to have MIME context menus, implemented in the different
> > individual applications (evo, gstreamer, etc).
>
> Hmm... let me get this straight. Are you saying that when for example you
> want to convert mp3 to ogg you will need to load another application and do
> it through that app?

via a component, yes, activated via the nautilus context menu. This
means that you call the specialized app to do the job, instead of
overloading with features nautilus.

cheers