Re: KDE Interop [Was: D-BUS background]

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 23:55, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:40:58PM +0000, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> > First point. If D-BUS could work over CORBA, then not using it could be
> > termed oversight. If D-BUS could work over 2 existing mechanisms, CORBA
> > _or_ DCOP, then why are you (D-BUS developers) rewriting everything
> > instead of reusing existing code?
>
> I don't think this question makes any sense, really. D-BUS doesn't use
> CORBA or DCOP.
>
> You could "tunnel it through" those, but that isn't really all that
> interesting a thing to do. "Using CORBA" means something more
> pervasive than tunneling through or bridging to CORBA.
>
> You need to look at the code and the specs and come up with a much
> more concrete question, or plan that you're proposing.

Yeah, I know I don't really know what I'm talking about. But there was
talk about GNOME not being prepared to adopt DCOP to solve IPC, just
like KDE appear not to be prepared to adopt CORBA. I was assuming that
DCOP therefore had functionality similar to D-BUS, since that's what the
thread was about.

If it doesn't, this is a red herring.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"If we eventually have the ubercool component system - based on Bonobo, or
something else - then great, we can then proxy it over IIOP, D-BUS, SOAP,
and morse code." -- hp