Galeon2 / Nautilus as a web browser [was: Re: KDE Interop [Was: D-BUS background]]

On Monday 10 March 2003 01:28, Havoc Pennington wrote:
|  On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 02:15:19PM -0800, Frank Worsley wrote:
|  > I don't understand what problem people seem to be having with Galeon as
|  > of late. I use it everyday from Debian unstable and it works great! It
|  > also doesn't seem too complex or comlicated at all. The UI is nice and
|  > simple, the preferences are kept to a minimum and it seems to follow the
|  > Gnome HIG very closely. Oh, and the Nautilus view is awesome too ... if
|  > people really want to use Nautilus as a web browser they should try it
|  > with the Galeon view.
|  >
|  > So, what's the problem here? Am I missing something important?
|
|  I haven't actually tried recent Galeon 2, but my understanding was
|  that it was Marco's effort that simplified it, and that the current
|  Galeon 2 maintainers are planning to revert to a Galeon 1 style
|  browser, while Marco is continuing Epiphany which is essentially
|  Galeon 2 with the plan to stay simplified. i.e. Galeon 2 will continue
|  in the simplified form under the name Epiphany, while the thing called
|  Galeon will become more like old Galeon.

I just can tell here that I don't have time at a moment to compile those
releases, especially from CVS.
So, I basically leave the task to the packager, which (in my case) Mandrake.

AFAIK, neither Galeon2 or Epiphany is part of upcoming Mandrake 9.1 release,
so for many Linux desktop users both would be unknown.

My point is: it's not enough to make good product.
You should put efforts to make that product distributed.
And, speaking about browsers: you should give very good reason to
packagers/distribution maintainer *why* you want to add 2 (or even 3, if you
count Phoenix) more browsers to already existing 2 or so.
Forking Galeon codebase into two branches is not very good idea, IMHO.