Re: Galeon2 / Nautilus as a web browser [was: Re: KDE Interop [Was: D-BUS background]]

mån 2003-03-10 klockan 14.15 skrev Vadim Plessky:
> On Monday 10 March 2003 13:49, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> |  mån 2003-03-10 klockan 11.09 skrev Vadim Plessky:
> |  > My point is: it's not enough to make good product.
> |  > You should put efforts to make that product distributed.
> |  > And, speaking about browsers: you should give very good reason to
> |  > packagers/distribution maintainer *why* you want to add 2 (or even 3, if
> |  > you count Phoenix) more browsers to already existing 2 or so.
> |  > Forking Galeon codebase into two branches is not very good idea, IMHO.
> |
> |  Why should the distributions ship all available browsers? That's just
> |  idiotic. The distribution chooses whatever browser fits best in there
> |  environment.
> |
> |  If they go for a KDE desktop they will ship with Konquerer, if they
> |  choose a GNOME desktop they might choose Galeon or Epiphany depending on
> |  there desktop focus.
>
> So far, all major distributions (Mandrake, RedHat, SuSE) ship both GNOME and
> KDE.
> So, the question is open - what browsers distribution should ship (if any).

If they ship one for KDE and one for GNOME that doesn't mean they have
to ship _ALL_ available browsers. Thera are loads of browsers that isn't
either part of GNOME or KDE.

In fact there isn't any browser that is part of GNOME. There are several
using GNOME-libraries/GTK+. If GNOME choose to include a browser it will
include _one_ browser, not 5. In the end it's up to the distributions to
choose if they want to ship with GNOME-default or some other browser
(just like Red Hat shipped with metacity instead of Sawfish (window
managers) before GNOME had made the switch).

To answer your question. The distribution should ship whatever
browser(s) they see fit for _there_ users.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/