Re: Question about html widget

fre 2003-03-14 klockan 22.31 skrev Christian Rose:
> fre 2003-03-14 klockan 18.52 skrev Bill Haneman:
> > gtkhtml
> > - limited accessibility support at present
> >
> > gtkhtml2
> > + accessibility support
> >
> > I expect gtkhtml will eventually catch up here and perhaps surpass, but
> > gtkhtml2 is where the accessibility team's html work is going at the
> > moment.
>
> Isn't that a bit odd, as people are from my understanding of past and
> present posts moving away from gtkhtml2 [1]?

This is not (as stated) entirely true.

As for my projects (Devhelp and Yelp in this case) I'm currently using
GtkHTML2 in lack of something else.

GtkHTML2 is having a lot of bugs and is currently slower in rendering
than both Gtkhtml1 and Gecko. If noone steps up and fix these issues
(and I know Padraig is trying to fix as much as he has time on his, what
I understand, overful schedule) it will eventually be dropped for
something else.

>From my understanding Gtkhtml1 will never have DOM or CSS support (and
frankly it's probably more work adding that to Gtkhtml than adding
editing to Gtkhtml2). According to Bill these are both needed for full
accessibility support. CSS is needed for both Devhelp and Yelp in order
to display the HTML in a nice way, it could probably be worked around
but that would be ugly.

So it all comes down to what is going to happen:

a) Nothing, I'll continue to use Gtkhtml2
b) Someone adds CSS support to Gtkhtml, I'll probably switch to that for
   Devhelp and if Bill thinks we can do the a11y with it I'll switch to
   it for Yelp too.
c) Gecko gets splitted out of Mozilla (fully) and adopted in GNOME as a
   part of GNOME desktop. I'll switch to that for both projects (and I
   think that eventually Evolution should too).
d) KTHML gets ported and adopted to GNOME instead of Mozilla, same
   issues as with Gecko (except for the editing part in Evolution).
e) Someone fixes Gtkhtml2 and makes it as good as KTHML or Gecko. I'll
   continue using it since it's already part of the platform.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/