Re: Build system (was: SVG format in ...)

Hi,

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 16:57, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> The GNU autotools could definitely use a replacement, but it would be
> wrong to make it gnome specific, because that would just make it more
> difficult to build gnome for people who has learned he autotools way
> of doing it.

I don't understand that every single second, new people pop up that have
the greatest idea of replacing everything that has been established so
far with their own oh-so-wonderful idea. "Oh yes, we'll just have to
rewrite everything and the world will be good." You know what makes GNU
autotools so wonderful? The fact that nearly everyone uses it. It's a
standard already.

Think about that for a second. There's not a lot of projects that can
say that.

And you want to throw that all away? Of course you don't! But yes, you
could wrap them inside a nice GUI layer like Visual Studio does (in
essence, it looks quite a lot like the GNU autotools build system). That
shouldn't be too hard. I suppose Anjuta & co already do this, actually.

Ronald

--
Ronald Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>