Re: Volume handling proposal

Clearly we should continue to support hardware where this is not
possible.  But I do not think that we should feel limited by the lowest
common denominator; ideally we provide support for the newest and
shiniest features and degrade gracefully on systems where such features
are not available.  This seems to be the attitude taken with respect to
X extensions like Render, randr, and xinerama.  I think that we would do
well to continue this philosophy into lower-level system features like
ejection notification.

Windows, as a reference, has historically not locked media while in use,
choosing instead to, as you mention, return filesystem errors when
processes attempt to access the drive.  Recently, though, this behavior
has been revised to pop up an advisory dialog showing applications with
open files (I think; I don't remember exactly what that looked like and
I don't have a computer with windows on it here)

We could do something similar of course, and also do the same thing for
unmounting from nautilus.  Ideally, such a dialog would allow you to,
for example, accept the consequences and eject the media anyway, which
would require something like supermount as you mention.

-Rob